Friday, February 13, 2015

Book Review: Rites of Passage by Joy N. Hensley

18285437

Sam McKenna’s never turned down a dare. And she's not going to start with the last one her brother gave her before he died.So Sam joins the first-ever class of girls at the prestigious Denmark Military Academy. She’s expecting push-ups and long runs, rope climbing and mud-crawling. As a military brat, she can handle an obstacle course just as well as the boys. She's even expecting the hostility she gets from some of the cadets who don’t think girls belong there. What she’s not expecting is her fiery attraction to her drill sergeant. But dating is strictly forbidden and Sam won't risk her future, or the dare, on something so petty...no matter how much she wants him.As Sam struggles to prove herself, she discovers that some of the boys don’t just want her gone—they will stop at nothing to drive her out. When their petty threats turn to brutal hazing, bleeding into every corner of her life, she realizes they are not acting alone. A decades-old secret society is alive and active… and determined to force her out.At any cost.Now time's running short. Sam must decide who she can trust...and choosing the wrong person could have deadly consequences.

I didn't know what to make of this book. I don't typically read any books that deal with the military, mainly because they don't come into my wheelhouse very often. But I gave it a shot.
I almost didn't finish this because, while written very well, I just didn't care. 
That sounds bad, but I just didn't care about the characters and what was going to happen to them.
Plus, the whole "secret society" plot is a very slow plot. I don't think it actually picked up the pace until halfway through. So that was kind of annoying to know that was going to happen and was the cause of all her troubles but she doesn't realize it until late in the story. 
It was like yelling at Dora when she asks, "Do you see the bridge to the jungle?" YES DORA, IT'S RIGHT BEHIND YOU! JUST TURN AROUND!!
But I do give props for the author making me hate the boys. It takes good writing in order to really hate characters. Man oh man, do I hate those boys. (The mean, sexist bastards, that is.)
Now the romance. 
Being a hopeless romantic, I love a good romance and don't mind a subplot of romance in an action book. 
In this book, however, I thought it was kind of unnecessary. It seemed too much of that "Insta-Love" (Instant Love). It was like one moment she's "Oh, my drill sergeant is kind of hot", and it's like cool okay, and then she's like, "He makes me feel things I shouldn't about him. This is wrong." Where did that come from?? You guys have barely talked and you guys are already in love? How?? I just didn't like how quick it was. I do admit some of the moments were pretty sweet and it was nice to read those instead of the nasty stuff that happens. But again, I don't think it was needed this early in the story. (It's going to be a series or something). I don't know. 
It's not a bad read. I just didn't really love it. *shrug*

Read: January 18, 2015
My Rating: 3 stars / 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment