Monday, February 9, 2015

Book Review: Since You've Been Gone by Morgan Matson

18189606

The Pre-Sloane Emily didn't go to parties, she barely talked to guys, she didn't do anything crazy. Enter Sloane, social tornado and the best kind of best friend—the one who yanks you out of your shell.
But right before what should have been an epic summer, Sloane just… disappears. No note. No calls. No texts. No Sloane. There’s just a random to-do list. On it, thirteen Sloane-selected-definitely-bizarre-tasks that Emily would never try… unless they could lead back to her best friend.
Apple Picking at Night? Okay, easy enough.
Dance until Dawn? Sure. Why not?
Kiss a Stranger? Wait… what?
Getting through Sloane’s list would mean a lot of firsts. But Emily has this whole unexpected summer ahead of her, and the help of Frank Porter (totally unexpected) to check things off. Who knows what she’ll find?
Go Skinny Dipping? Um… 


Oh boy. This book, you guys.
Because of this book I've decided that I like everything that Morgan Matson writes. (She wrote Amy and Roger's Epic Detour and Second Chance Summer, which I highly recommend.) This is my favorite of hers right now.
I was wary about this when I first picked it up because I thought it was going to turn out a lot different than it did. The way it did turn out is freaking amazing. I love this book. Its focus on Emily and Sloane's friendship is such a wonderful story and it seems so real. I can relate to the problems and actions that both girls went through in their friendship. I think a lot of people can relate to them (not just girls, even if it is girl-centric. There is a good dynamic between two guy characters as well that I think a lot of guys go through at one point or another.)
I loved the element of Emily going through this whole journey thinking that she loved Sloane more than Sloane loved Emily. (Is that a spoiler? I don't think so... it's fairly obvious from the beginning.) I think a lot of friendships have this idea that one of them have more love than the other. (Which is a LIE. People love and show love in different ways.) This just made the whole story that much more real.
Emily's growth as a person/character was fantastic. You see her change from who she was "Pre-Sloane" and how "After Sloane" Emily isn't much different. It's just a great, great story of growth and true friendship with all the rainbows and puppy kisses that come with books like this. (Not a bad thing, by the way. I'm just a sarcastic little poop-head who loves romance while being the most cynical person you've ever met.)
AND THE COVER. God, bury me with this book so they can have a great book and think I was a queen because only queens have things this beautiful. 
10/10 WOULD RECOMMEND.

Read: January 9, 2015
My Rating; 5 stars / 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment