Monday, May 4, 2015

Book Review: Slammed by Colleen Hoover

13372690
Following the unexpected death of her father, 18-year-old Layken is forced to be the rock for both her mother and younger brother. Outwardly, she appears resilient and tenacious, but inwardly, she's losing hope.
Enter Will Cooper: The attractive, 21-year-old new neighbor with an intriguing passion for slam poetry and a unique sense of humor. Within days of their introduction, Will and Layken form an intense emotional connection, leaving Layken with a renewed sense of hope.
Not long after an intense, heart-stopping first date, they are slammed to the core when a shocking revelation forces their new relationship to a sudden halt. Daily interactions become impossibly painful as they struggle to find a balance between the feelings that pull them together, and the secret that keeps them apart

Colleen Hoover has been in my periphery for a while now. I've heard nothing but great things from her books but hadn't had the time or the books to actually read any of her work. 
Then I found this at the library.
It was pretty good. I know this is one of her older ones but it wasn't gush-worthy. Still good.
While I liked the writing and how the story flowed, I did not enjoy the insta-love (instant love). I like my characters to gradually fall in love and only admit they love each other when one of them is about to die. That's how you do this stuff. (I know that's weird. I read a lot of sci-fi adventure stuff.) These guys met THREE days ago and they're already in love? No, that is not okay. I don't care how many cute moments you guys have, you are not in love.
The whole conflict on why they couldn't be together wasn't the best of plot twists. I mean, it's definitely conflicting, but come on. (SPOILER!! Do not read if you want it to be a surprise!!) If you find out that you really like your teacher, romantically, don't do anything. Ever. It's over until you guys leave or graduate. DO. NOT. DO. ANYTHING. (END OF SPOILER. You're safe now.)
But, alas, this is a fictional universe, so they can't hear me. I know I probably sound like a heartless person for saying not to do anything when it's "love" but come on. I would never do anything if it meant the person I "love" would suffer for it. Whatever. 
Despite disagreeing on every decision the characters made, I did actually enjoy it. I might read more of her stuff and probably not the sequel to this; but definitely more of her stuff. Eventually. I really liked all the romance and swoons in this. Just not why/how/whatever they were happening.

Read: April 2015
My Rating: 3.5 stars / 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment