Saturday, April 4, 2015

Book Review: Angelburn by L. A. Weatherly

9713071
They're out for your soul.
And they don't have heaven in mind...

Willow knows she's different from other girls, and not just because she loves tinkering with cars. Willow has a gift. She can look into the future and know people's dreams and hopes, their sorrows and regrets, just by touching them. She has no idea where this power comes from. 
But the assassin, Alex, does. Gorgeous, mysterious Alex knows more about Willow than Willow herself does. He knows that her powers link to dark and dangerous forces and that he's one of the few humans left who can fight them. When Alex finds himself falling in love with his sworn enemy, he discovers that nothing is as it seems; least of all good and evil.
Not going to lie, I was kind of expecting this to be similar to Angelfall. If anything I was hoping for it because then I'd have something to tie me over while I wait for the next one to come out.
Unfortunately, it wasn't like that at all. Which would've been fine if it had had a better story.
I called what was going to happen from the start. No book should do that. If anything you should have crumbs hinting but not large cookie size crumbs.
The huge reveal that she's what she is (spoilers?) didn't have me gasping in the slightest.
Then there's the angels. I was thinking people with wings and maybe some special powers. Nope, I got actual angels. With halos and gowns. Yeah. They have a human form that's more beautiful than regular humans, of course. They feed on people in some weird mind meld and diseases are the side effect of that? Okay, pushing it a little but okay.
Then there's the love story. I was hoping for some of that hate that would turn into love. It did but the hate lasted 0.5 seconds if it started at all. The male protagonist is taken away by her beauty, especially how "she doesn't even know she has it", and is supposed to hate her. Yeah, OK. So I let that slide since this is how these tropes work. Nope, a few pages later they're already admitting they don't actually hate each other. No! You're supposed to save that until one of them is close to dying! Come on! A few pages after that, they're saying they love each other. WHAT. No, I'm sorry but you guys dont love each other. You guys only met three days ago. I get that you've spent a lot of time together but come on. Not that much!
Ugh. Sorry but no. I thought that was cute when I was 11 and watched every Disney princess movie, but the audience reading this is a little older and know a little better. Show some respect.
I didn't particularly enjoy this but I mean at least I tried?

Read: March 2015
My Rating: 2 stars / 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment